Thursday, November 8, 2012

Three Oddest Words



THE THREE ODDEST WORDS
Wislawa Szymborska

When I pronounce the word Future,
the first syllable already belongs to the past.

When I pronounce the word Silence,
I destroy it.

When I pronounce the word Nothing,
I make something no non-being can hold.

*********************
 I don't have much to say about this. I just came across it by accident and thought it was neat.

I have to admit, the last line confuses me a little--it was translated from Polish to English so I wonder if a little something isn't translating (decalage, for all you Brent Hayes Edwards fans out there--you know who you are!). Regardless, "no non-being" is one of the trippiest double-negatives I've ever come across.

We're all in agreement that double-negatives are arranged along a spectrum of trippiness, right?

Good, I'm glad we got that cleared up.

No comments:

Post a Comment