Thursday, January 17, 2013

Yoga Teacher Training Journal: January 16

Do what it takes!
So I took a 5 PM class yesterday in Plainsboro--snuck out of work early, got there in the nick of time (actually late but they're always running a little late there), and expected to see Meredith--all day long, for reasons I can't explain, I thought it was Thursday--but instead there was Leo. Because it was Wednesday.

I've never been in a class with Leo, and I wasn't sure I was going to like being there--he has a certain affect that can seem like a put-on. Lots of "bros" and "dudes" and "mamas" and "bubalas," etc. Plus during the second set of Ardhachandrasana he adjusted me--TWICE!--and made quite a spectacle of me, to the extent that I burned with shame and embarrassment--I don't like to be noticed, period, but particularly not in a negative way.

But yet again, teacher training wisdom came to the rescue. I'm the student, I thought, he's the teacher. Put your ego aside (shyness, after all, is a form of egotism) and see what he has to teach you.

And he was INCREDIBLE. A charismatic, someone who can clearly cultivate a passionate following of adoring students (females, mostly). Committed to proper form. Not afraid to be hated to help you go to a new level. Funny, thoughtful... I'll definitely go back. I think I have much to learn from this person.

Oh--and at the end he mentioned that next week he would be missing class because it was his birthday--his 63rd. If you could see this man, you would never have believed it. Looks in his 40's, tops.

Hot yoga really is the fountain of youth!




No comments:

Post a Comment