Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Yoga Teacher Training Journal: January 28

Awesomeness crossing.
Just read an awesome blog post that compared hot yoga to adventure traveling (by teacher trainer extraordinaire, Carly Miller), and it got me itching to put on my adventure shoes and get out there on the road. This is all the more reason to go back into teaching: nearly 3 gorgeous, uninterrupted summer months in which to do all the things you want to do that require a sustained number of consecutive days off.

Like hiking the Appalachian Trail, for instance. No, you can't do the whole thing in a summer, but you can do a healthy chunk of it. Added bonus: you could try to plan your supply stops around areas with hot yoga studios. I traveled a chunk of the AT when I was 16, as part of an Outward Bound crew, and it changed me forever--and yet how distant that little person seems, with her backpack that weighed half as much as her and her mother-hen instincts for all the younger crew members... who went on to actually lead freshman backpacking trips for Princeton's Outdoor Action program. What happened to that person? I haven't backpacked in 15 years!

Or I could follow a band around for a little while, crashing with friends from town to town, reconnecting during the day and dancing my ass off at night. Who says this is undignified at age 36? Well maybe it is, but who cares? Dancing my ass off to amazing improvisational music is my form of worship--I need it as a vital form of cleansing and renewal, and it's every bit as powerful for me as yoga is--though less sustainable. Who's to say, furthermore, that I can't combine these things--yoga in the cities where I'm seeing shows, to stave off the creeping effects of late nights in sweaty venues?

A friend of mine is putting together a month-long kayak/raft trip through the Grand Canyon in October. This is something I'd really love to do, but how to get a month off in October? Would my loved ones be able to handle it? And would my work let me take unpaid time off?

You never know until you ask, I guess. Maybe it's time to take a plunge.

No comments:

Post a Comment